Home Activities: Teens
Our librarians have gathered resources and suggestions for keeping boredom at bay!
Don’t forget, our Digital Branch is always open for borrowing ebooks, listening to music, learning a new hobby, and more.
- Try a daily writing challenge or writing prompts.
- Rewrite the ending to a story or movie.
- Start a memoir, write jokes, a short story, or a comic strip.
- Try blackout poetry or write your own poem.
- Start a Journal.
- Look for a new recipe that sounds tasty and make a meal. AtoZ Food America has many recipes.
- Bake a cake, cupcakes, or cookies, and get creative with your decorating.
- Share pictures with family and friends! You can even have an online contest with friends by sharing pictures and voting on your favorites.
- See how to make Monster Cookies in this video by Teen Librarian Alyssa.
- Reorganize your room!
- Craft something new for your wall.
- Paint if it’s OK with your adults.
- Learn something new – a braid, a craft technique, how to fix your bike, etc.
- Play Games:
- Create your own board game or card game.
- Learn a new card game
- Play virtual games with your friends
- Build a fort.
- Watch WPL Teen Youtube videos to see more things you can do.
- Set up an obstacle course in your house or your yard. Time family members as they make their way through the course to see who is the fastest. Change up the course and do it again!
- Make a conditioning plan for yourself – write down each exercise and how many repetitions you want to try. Mix it up each day so you don’t get bored!
- Put on your favorite music and dance!
- Try yoga:
- Try a series of yoga poses a day. Add in a new pose every couple of days.
- Enjoy time outside:
- Digital Branch—Need help with homework? Find reliable resources on the Library’s Digital Branch.
- NASA STEM @ home – Fun Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math activities for students and the whole family.
- Virtual Museum Tours – Tour some of the world’s most famous museums virtually.
- Transparent Languages – Practice your language lessons, or learn something new.
- Learning Express Library – Test prep for the ACT or SAT.
- TED ED – TED Talks and animated videos for teens.
- eBooks – Check out books from our Digital Branch.
- eAudiobooks – Prefer to listen? Check out audiobooks from our Digital Branch.
- Rebecca Caudill Award List – The Illinois readers’ choice award for grades 4-8.
- Lincoln Award List – The Illinois teen readers’ choice award.
- Michael L. Printz Award – Add these national award winning titles to your reading list.
- Book Recs – Need a suggestion? These reviews are written by your WPL Librarians.
- Book Talks – Watch what your Librarians are saying about their favorite or recently read books.
- Underlined – Engage with your favorite books and authors from Penguin/Random House in this community for teen readers.
- Local Schools’ Summer Reading Lists