No More Late Fees
Starting Monday, May 18, there will be no late fees for anything you check out at Westmont Public Library.
Did you have late fees on your account for items you checked out at Westmont Public Library? We’ve waived them all! (does not apply to charges for lost or damaged items)
We still want you to return your items when you’re done, so be sure to bring them all back before they’re two weeks overdue.* If an item borrowed from our Library does reach the two week overdue limit, your account will be temporarily blocked until you return it.
Once a late item is returned, your account will be reinstated, and no late fees will be applied!
* Automatic renewals and renewal limits still apply.
Here are the details of our new Fine Free policy:
- Any patron who checks out items at Westmont Public Library will no longer accrue overdue fines/late fees.
- All previous late fees for items checked out at Westmont will be removed from all patron accounts. (excludes bills for lost or damaged items)
- Your Library account will be blocked when any item checked out at Westmont Public Library is more than 14 days overdue. This applies to all patrons who check out items at Westmont Library.
- You will receive an overdue notice at 7 days and 21 days overdue.
- You will be billed for “lost” items at 42 days. (this has not changed)
- Accounts will go to collections at 60 days. (this has not changed)
- Once overdue items are returned, your account will be automatically unblocked.
- You remain responsible for any existing bills for lost or damaged items.
- You remain responsible for any existing collection agency fees.
- Westmont Library patrons will still be subject to late fees at other libraries.
- Accounts with balances of $10 or greater will still be blocked.
- Renewals: Automatic renewals and renewal/non-renewal limits will remain the same; however, we will no longer have a grace period.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why are you eliminating late fees?
We strongly feel that this is something we want to do for our community especially in these difficult times. We want our patrons to enjoy access to all of our library resources without fear of incurring overdue fines or having late fees otherwise prevent access to our resources.
- What about old overdue fines?
All past overdue fines for items checked out at the Westmont Public Library have been forgiven.
- Does this mean I can keep my checkouts indefinitely?
Items still have specific check out periods, and renewable materials can still be renewed up to 2 times if there are no holds. Items will still be overdue if not returned on or before their due date.
- What happens if I have overdue items?
Once you have an item that is over 14 days overdue, your card will be blocked. Your card will be unblocked when the item is returned.
- What happens if I lose an item?
Your account will be billed for any lost items. If you return an item that you’ve been billed for, the bill will be removed from your account. If you are unable to return the item, the bill will remain on your account. Your account may be sent to collections if the bill remains unpaid. The collection agency charges a $20 collection fee which is added to your account and can’t be waived.
- Will I still have fines if I check out items at other libraries?
Yes, if other libraries do not offer fine free service, you will accrue late fees for overdue items checked out at those libraries.
- What about the money the library loses if late fees are no longer assessed?
Fine revenue has not been a significant source of library funding. 96% of our revenue comes from property taxes. The revenue generated from fines was a very small part of the library’s budget.
- Will my taxes go up?
Your taxes will not increase because of the library eliminating late fees.