Home Activities: Teens
Need ideas for keeping busy while you stay home? Our librarians have gathered resources and suggestions for keeping boredom at bay!
Don’t forget, our Digital Branch is always open for borrowing ebooks, listening to music, learning a new hobby, and more.
- Write a short story, or create a comic strip.
- Look for a new recipe that sounds tasty and a make a meal.
- Bake a cake, cupcakes, or cookies, and get creative with your decorating. Share pictures with family and friends! You can even have an online contest with friends by sharing pictures and voting on your favorites.
- Reorganize your room! Craft something new for your wall, de-clutter, even paint if it’s OK with your adults.
- Learn something new – a braid, a craft technique, how to fix your bike, etc.
- Lynda.com – A great resource to get you inspired and help you learn.
- Learn some new camera techniques and practice taking and editing photos. Pick a theme, like plants, animals, landscapes, faces.
- Create your own board game or card game and play it with your family – or play virtually with your friends!
- Try origami.
- Set up an obstacle course in your house or your yard. Time family members as they make their way through the course to see who is the fastest. Change up the course and do it again!
- Go for a walk, a run, or ride your bike. Download music or an audiobook to listen while you exercise.
- Make a conditioning plan for yourself – write down each exercise and how many repetitions you want to try. Mix it up each day so you don’t get bored!
- Put on your favorite music and dance!
- Try yoga, do a series of yoga poses a day. Add in a new pose every couple of days.
- Brainfuse—Need help with homework? Teachers are available online to help you with this resource from the Library’s Digital Branch.
- Scholastic Learn at Home—Videos, activities, articles, and games to satisfy your curiosity about your world.
- NASA STEM @ home – Fun Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math activities for students and the whole family.
- Virtual Museum Tours – Tour some of the world’s most famous museums with a virtual tour.
- Mango Languages – Practice your language lessons, or learn something new.
- Learning Express Library – Test prep for the ACT or SAT.
- TED ED – TED Talks and animated videos for teens.
- Wide Open School – A free collection of great online learning experiences, pulled together by Common Sense Media educators.
- eBooks – check out books from our Digital Branch.
- eAudiobooks – prefer to listen? check out audiobooks from our Digital Branch.
- Teen Book Cloud – enjoy eBooks and eComics with this new resource on our Digital Branch.
- Rebecca Caudill Award nominees – the 2021 nominee list has arrived for this Illinois readers’ choice award for grades 4-8.
- Lincoln Award nominees – the 2021 nominee list has arrived for this Illinois teen readers’ choice award.
- Michael L. Printz Award – add these award winning titles to your reading list.